Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday and Quito is waiting!

Hi everybody,

Today started out when I was to meet a friend to walk around the city. I took a taxi, as you need to take taxis everywhere because of security and when I arrived, I realized I forgot my camera! I had to take taxi back and then into the city again. What a ride! Well, I missed my friend and went around the city by my self. On Sundays, they close the streets around the Plaza de Indpendencia so there is a throng of people and one has to be careful with their belongings.





This is the Governer´s Palace (also called the President´s Palace). He doesn´t live there, but there is a great museum. Around the square is the Archbishop´s Palace and the Mayor´s house.








Next, I walked up the hill a bit through streets that are nearly at a 90· angle.










Then I arrived at La Basilica, which is a beautiful cathedral with wonderful spires and stairs leading to the bell tower. The way is arduous. You have to climb three flights of winding stairs, transverse a wooden bridge, then climb 3 steel ladders to reach the top. It is the best $2 I ever spent as the views are spectacular!












I could see Panicillo Hill and the rest of Quito. After I came back down to ground level, I went to see La Campania, another cathedral. The inside is gold everywhere you look! And the people are so poor!









Finally, I took a taxi to the top of Panicillo Hill, (which seemed to go straight up to the sky) where the Virgin of Quito overlooks the people of the city with wings 50 feet high. The views here are as beautiful as can be and I left with a sense of awe for the city and it´s people. The weather was warm and mostly sunny today, so I was happy as I walked around.








Love,

Kerry




No comments:

Post a Comment