Monday, May 3, 2010

My last day in Quito

Today I hired a taxi for the entire day and first went to La Midad del Mundo, or Middle of the World. This is a place where the equator separates the northern and southern hemisperes. My driver and I walked all around and here you can see us with the monument in the background and us straddling the line.
Next we went to Inti Ñan which is the real place where the equator cuts through the earth. We took a great tour though the where the guide explained about the Quechua culture, shrunken heads and many experiments that show the equator and how it is different from the rest of the world. One of them was to stand a raw egg on a nail and I actually saw some people do it! I, of course, you guessed, it, couldn´t.
Afterward, we went to TeleferiQo, which is a cable car ride to 12,100 ´in an enclosed cable car. The view going up is spectacular where the city of Quito is in bright sunshine below.
At the top, it is cold, rainy and cloudy. You can barely see your hand in front of your face. If you aren´t careful, it is possible to get lost!
We then went to a vegetarian restaurant (Hey! I had to find one! lol) and concluded our tour just as the rain began at the Botanical Gardens at Carolina Park. This park houses a Vivirarium with snakes and amphibians of all sizes, shapes and colors. It is one of the largest parks in South America. Unfortunately, you can´t walk around in it very safely. None the less, it was gorgeous. So many flowers and plants that you will only find in Ecuador.
Well, my time in Quito has come to an end, and it is on to the Galapagos tomorrow.
Hugs and Kisses,
Kerry

2 comments:

  1. Wow! that's too cool about the egg standing on a nail thing....I love the pics of the garden and flower, beautiful....keep blogging!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI KERRY!! I'm so happy that you are enjoying the beautiful country that my parents are from :) Are you going to Guayaquil too? That is where I grew up, I miss it. I hope you you have a great time in the Galapagos Islands - Love, Margie

    ReplyDelete